Friday 28 June 2013

Why did the Ruffed Grouse Cross the Road?

To get to her chicks!

Here she is crossing in front of the RV on the Cassier Highway (We were stopped!) to chase after her ~8 chicks that ran to the other side! My best guess is that the chicks were 3-4 days old.

Ruffed Grouse female

We are on the AlCan and made it to the Yukon Territory!! We are staying two nights in Whitehorse, Yukon. The Yukon is awesome! Everything I imagined it to be and more... Tomorrow we are planning on going out on a bird/dragonfly walk with the Yukon Bird Club as long as we can find the location! We will also be heading out to explore the Yukon in the Whitehorse area and look for birds at some local hotspots!

I took this photo of myself in the beautiful Yukon Territory
In addition to the Ruffed Grouse, we also saw a Northern Hawk Owl today in a recovering burned area. He was awesome and just sat in the tree hunting while I got great looks through my binoculars and snapped some photos! Margaret and I saw both of these birds on our trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in February with Ethan Kistler and Gary Cowell, but it was fun to see them again, and find them on our own! I must have good luck at spotting Ruffed Grouse, because I was the one that found them both times!!

Northern Hawk Owl

No comments:

Post a Comment