Tuesday 25 June 2013

Glacier View

Today was eventful. It was pouring rain when we woke up and most of the morning. It sprinkled off and on the rest of the day as well. We drove 370 miles today and since it wasn't all looping up and down mountains, we actually made some progress towards Alaska! We are staying the night in Smithers, BC which isn't too far from the Cassier Highway that we will be taking up to the Yukon!

We made a few stops for some quick birding, stretching, running, and dog walking and heard three new birds for the trip: Alder Flycatcher, Hammond's Flycatcher and White-throated Sparrow! Here is one of the rest areas where we stopped along the highway:


While we were on the road, I was listening to music with my eyes closed (not sleeping!) when I was startled by a loud noise and something hitting my face. Apparently a truck threw a rock into the windshield right in front of me and it hit hard enough to shatter a part of the window and send little glass shards flying onto me!

Before we arrived at the campground, we stopped at an RV wash. It was actually fun to get out and wash the RV and try to get all the bugs off.

Tonight we are staying at a campground called Glacier View, and it does have a beautiful view, although the glaciers are nearly melted. Here's what I'm seeing:

No comments:

Post a Comment