Wednesday 5 March 2014

March: The adventures begin again!

It has been a long winter. I love winter and the snow, cold weather, and winter birding that goes along with it, but I haven't been traveling any. Instead, I have been working several jobs through the winter to save up for this year's adventures, and I have some fun things planned!! One of my jobs has been working for a local photographer/author/publisher. My first trip this year is going to be with him. He is leading a bird photography workshop this weekend at Goose Pond in Indiana, and I will be going along to help out and be the bird guide during that event! I am really excited because I have a decent chance of seeing a new life bird: Whooping Cranes!

Less than a week after I return from guiding in Indiana, I will be heading south to Guatemala for 20 days of birding with my friend, John Cahill, who is doing a Guatemala Big Year to raise money for cloud forest conservation! During his last big year, in 2012, he was able to find 591 species; this year he is hoping for over 600 and he is well on his way with already over 500 species at the end of February! While I am there, we will be visiting some areas on the eastern side of Guatemala, including Punta de Manabique which is a peninsula in the Caribbean Sea! Be sure to check back for photos and stories from my trip! You can follow John's exciting year on his blog:
http://bigyear.cloudforestconservation.org/johncahill

As you may know, in March of 2013 I was also in Guatemala, and while I was there for a very different reason, I fell in love with the country and I'm very excited to be going back! Check out these photos from last year's trip...

Homes in the Guatemala City dump

Me with a boy who lives in the city dump community

Black Vultures flying over the dump behind the cemetery 

La Limonada; the highly populated ghetto in Guatemala City

Turkey Vulture soaring above Lake Atitlan in Panajachel, Guatemala

Black-handed Spider Monkey hanging out while I was hiking at Reserva Natural Atitlan

Bushy-crested Jays in Guatemala, one of my favorite corvids

Delicious Guatemalan bananas!


After I return from Guatemala on April 2nd, I will be moving to northern Indiana to start working on a sustainable farm!! With a 40 acre restored tall grass prairie on the property, I assume I will be seeing quite a few grassland birds without even leaving the farm! Doing a little research on eBird, I was able to find out that I will also be about 8 miles from the top eBird hotspot in the county as well!

Keep checking back to hear the details of the birds I'm seeing and the fun along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment